Install SQL Server Step by Step for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM-Current Branch)
In this article we will cover both “New SQL Server stand-alone installation” and “New SQL Server Failover cluster installation” step by step.
Before installing SQL Server role, check for Supported SQL server versions for Configuration Manager.
If you are planning to install SQL Failover Cluster for your SCCM environment then make sure Windows Cluster for SQL Server is configured properly. You can refer to article for installing and configuring Windows Cluster for SQL Server.
- Step by Step SQL Server Installation for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Post SQL Installation Configuration for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Step by Step SQL Server Installation for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Run Setup.exe as administrator from SQL Server Installation Media.
2. On Installation Page, Select
“New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation” for stand-alone installation
“New SQL Server Failover cluster installation” for configuring failover cluster
3. On Setup Support Rules Page, it will evaluate the SQL Setup rules. Click Next.
4. Enter the product key on Next Page, if you are using a free edition select evaluation tab.
5. Accept the license terms and Click Next.
6. Product Updates: If SQL Box is connected to internet you will get available SQL updates to install.
You can either install it or skip and proceed.
7. Select “SQL Server Feature Installation
8. Select Features
- Database Engine Services
- Management Tools – Basic
9. Keep Default Instance Name on Instance Configuration.
Note: If you are configuring SQL Server Failover Cluster, specify a “SQL Server Network Name”.
10. Proceed Next after reviewing Disk Space requirements.
Note: Steps 11, 12, 13 are only for “SQL Server Failover Cluster”.
If you installing “SQL Server Stand Alone” you won’t find these options. You can directly go to Step 14.
11. Keep default “SQL Server Cluster Resource Group Name” on Cluster Resource Group.
12. On “Cluster Disk Selection” select the Disk created for SQL Server Cluster. Click Next
13. Assign a unique and unused IP address in “Cluster Network Configuration”. Click Next
14. Make sure that Collation is “SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS” on Server Configuration Wizard.
15. In Server Configuration tab, set Authentication Mode to “Windows Authentication Mode” &
Specify SQL/SCCM Security Group under Specify SQL Server Administrators.
16. In Error reporting click Next.
17. Click Next once all Installation Rules are evaluated.
18. Click Install.
19. After installation is finished. Click Close.
20. After the installation is completed, you can verify the SQL Failover services by launching Failover Cluster Manager.
Right the role and set the preferred nodes under properties.
Post SQL Installation Configuration for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
We need to define a limit for the minimum and maximum SQL server memory otherwise SCCM setup will give a warning message during prerequisites check.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Right click SQL Server Instance and select Properties.
- On Memory Page, define the memory limits.
- Minimum server memory: 8192 MB
- Maximum server memory: 8192 MB
So we are done with installing and configuring SQL Server for SCCM.